Re: New Optacon User

  • From: "Karen Poulakos" <kpoulakos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 21:28:19 -0600

Hi Pam!

Good to find so many familiar people here!

To get started, I printed a page with a line going across, then a row of the
letter "t" separated by a few spaces, then a row of the letter "O" separated
by spaces, and then the letter "X" .  I thought those might be good shapes
to start with.  But even when the Optacon sounds like it is working, I don't
think I am getting the full letter on the array.  For example, I'm not
feeling the horizontal line at the top of the letter "T:", or the top of the
letter "O".  I have tried turning the two knobs at the front of the unit,
but that doesn't seem to help.  I have also moved the little button at the
top of the little camera thing.  It does make the letter larger, but I can't
feel the letters distinctly enough to tell the difference.  Hopefully this
will also improve when I get the battery problem resolved and have the unit
cleaned.

Can anyone explain the two knobs at the front of the unit, and how they
differ in what they do?  Also there is a switch that slides to the right and
left on the back of the unit.  There is also a button next to the array,
above where the tip of the finger would be.

Thanks,

Karen P.