New Optacon User

  • From: "Karen Poulakos" <kpoulakos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 10:22:24 -0600

    Hi,

I am new to the list.  I received an opticon from someone who could no longer
use it.  Is anyone currently servicing these?

My understanding is that as i run the little camera over the printed text, I
should hear a buzz as it sees the letters, and it should be quiet where there
is none.  This unit seems to work correctly for a few minutes, then goes to a
constant buzz, and does not display correctly on the array. When it sounds like
it's working correctly, I'm not sure the full letter is showing up on the
array, but that may be because I am new at this.

The person who gave it to me did tell me that the battery no longer holds a
charge, and the unit hadn't been used for over a year.

The previous owner also told me that at one time there was a tracking device to
aid in tracking a straight line.  I would love to fine one, if possible.  I was
able to read print years ago, so am familiar with print letters and numbers.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Karen Poulakos