[AR] Re: Estimating Coefficient of Discharge (Cd)

  • From: "Monroe L. King Jr." <monroe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 16:42:15 -0700

 I've seen this same thing happen with NO2 injection systems for
automotive applications on a plate type injector with a dual orifice at
even higher pressure. (we purge the lines on the line to ensure liquid
at the injector) It's an interesting phenomenon. A 2500 HP engine would
go lean toward the end of a run and grenade due to the same effect. We
solved it by pressurizing the NO2 with nitrogen. Plenty of guy's still
think it's due to the pressure drop but it was injector lock. (in part
due to a pressure drop but not enough to lean the mixture enough to
grenade the engine)

 Which is a big reason I don't much care for the way self pressurized
hybrids fly. I know they can't possibly be efficient. (Unless fuel flow
is controlled by oxidizer flow) I've not seen any that function that way
however.

 A simple name for this phenomenon is "injector lock"

 Monroe

 Here's a good way to prove it to yourself. Any fuel injector shop has a
injector test chamber, plug the other injector stands and run your
injector in one. Run some test check out what you see. ;)