[optacon-l] Re: TSI and the Good Old days!

  • From: "Nick Dotson" <nickdotson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 10:20:09 -0600

In 1970 at FSU I had an opportunity to Guinea Pig a Laser Cane, which the
College of Education Department of Visual Disabilities under which after
several changes of Major I would acquire my Bachelor's of Science, was
evaluating for the V.A. because there was a possible 83 blind student
population from which to find experimental volunteers... We had an area of
the campus blocked of for several blocks, and one day after testing, I was
allowed to remove the crook of the cane and it's laser and audio and tacter
assembly from the shaft.  I had picture book technique at the time and ran
as fast as I could until I was tired of running on the very edge of being
out of control and going head over heals...  Never before and never since
have I had that amazing since of almost flying, and I was able to detect and
dodge obstacles faster than my Object Perception could.  Finally, I used the
6-meter horizontal beam to trace the branches of a tree.  This and what I've
experienced of print, images, and other non tactile displays with the
Optacon give me my own personal conceptions of what it must be like to
see--experience beyond the range with Object Perception and not touch--and
know things exist.  The Sonic guide with it's ability to allow me to
discriminate between the sounds of different adjacent surfaces to reach for
a door knob without any direct contact with the door or it's frame give me
my own internal sense of what the power of vision must be like.  This
knowledge of the relation to form as beauty in addition to the access of the
functional contents of documents acquired through the use of the Optacon
have greatly enriched my perceptions of what the nature of the world might
be like for those not congenitally blind--not perhaps with full-fledged
accuracy from their perspective, but giving me grist for the mills of
amazement and occasional envy.  (grin)

Nick