[muglo] Re: Survey

  • From: Martin Albinger <max@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 19:37:21 -0500

Rather than cut a snip Eric's message I'll just my $0.02 worth.

In terms of moving to X I look at what it is going to cost me.  I
have 4 computers running in my little network from a lowly 7200
(OS 8.6), iMac 233, G3 233 (oc'd to 266 wow!!) and a Cube, the
latter 3 on OS 9.2.2.  I could move to X on the Cube but when I
move I want all the same operating system.

Now to upgrade the iMac is a few hundred - $200 - 400 for a
processor, $50 - 100 (or more) for  a bigger drive (still got the
lowly 4 gig), max out the memory (in other words get all the
largest it can take and turf the rest) another $200 or so -
that's $500 for a machine tha's still got a 66 Mhz bus, 6 Meg of
Vram, and 15" screen.

Then I have to do the same to my G3 - similar cost? lets say
another $500.  Then I have the aggravation on the G3 of loading
Xpisfacto (sp?) and partitioning my drive & still no USB or
firewire (another $50 - $100).

What can I get for my 7200 - I pay you $50 to take it away?

For that kind of money I can get one (1) eMac but I'm still short
2 computers.

Maybe when I want some fun I'll switch. Right now OS 9.2.2 is
very, very very stable for me (so it crashes once in awhile so
what!!  I jsut make sure I save my spreadsheets more often and
anyway Appleworks does a nice job with crash recovery)

With 1 of my progeny in university this year and another going
next year I won't have money for much let alone upgrading.  My
kids (#1 got the iMac 800/15" - slick - real slick and I loved
playing with Jaguar - #2 if accepted into the program of choice
is strongly recommeded to purchase a Mac laptop) will get the new
machine(s) and I'll limp along.  Relatively contentedly I might add.

Martin Eh!
{:)}-|--<