[muglo] Re: Survey

  • From: "Eric D" <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 15:40:17 -0500

>As someone else has noted here , it appears from the current survey,
>that a  majority of MUGLO members are still hugging their OS9 security
>blankets :)

Has anyone crunched the numbers? What struck me about the response was how
many of us are still running "slower" Macs (<500 MHz G4 or G3) and how few
are now running pre-G3s (to be expected). Of course, my PowerBook G3/400 is
in effect as useful to me as a G4/1.33 17" would be so it's not completely
unsurprising!!! Yeah, I could browse the web a little faster with a
hyper-fast G4 and I'd be able to use iPhoto at a much better rate but my
overall utility from the computer wouldn't go up! In terms of hardware I've
got DVD, FireWire, USB, S-Video out for TV (at a wide variety of
resolutions... our TV here latches onto 1024x768 PAL or NTSC (of course,
it's "fake" resolution)... max real is 640x480 PAL (NTSC too I think... NTSC
is nicer on my eyes since the refresh rate is 60 Hz, not 50 (which I can
detect with PAL)!!!)), audio out/in, microphone, VGA out (DB15) (not that
horrible proprietary Apple digital interface found on newer computers...
unless you have a digital external screen it's kind of pointless...
especially when over-head projectors only come with VGA connectors and
that's the most common use of video out (how many G4 owners have been left
out in the cold when they forgot their silly digital to VGA converter
dongle?)

>I wonder if that phenomenon is equally true of the majority of Mac
>users out there? Maybe accounts for Apples media onslaught of 'friendly
>persuasion'?

Depends. If you're a 9600/300 user you'll be an OS 9 user. If you're an iMac
233 you're likely running 9. However, if you're anything with guts (300
MHz+) chances are you're running some flavour of X!

>Personally, I was the same, refusing to switch to Ten for at least two
>years, until I bought the G5. Then the dual attractions of being to
>access so much more OSX software AND to maintain my existing SW running
>in Classic 9, proved overwhelming.  I'm still missing many aspects of
>OS9 and trying to adjust to some of the inflexibilities of Unix based
>Panther.  If you decide to stick with OS9 your operating world will
>shrink - which may not be a problem if your Mac satisfies all your
>current needs.

And, with time, you'll find that OS X satisfies all your needs exclusively
(unless you rely on some obscure OS 7/8 (& maybe 9) application).

PS I was using Windows this afternoon, and damn does it still suck!!! (it's
only for suckers... and given the paucity of Macs around here I can't but
help conclude that the English are suckers (of course, fish and chips (can't
think of anything comparably low-quality in the Canadian fast food diet...
Krispy Cream doughnuts?) & bacon/fry butties (eating lard?) are considered a
delicacy so...)... I've seen a grand total of *one* Mac (14" iBook... a
science teacher of course :) :) :)) in all my travels around England (even
the one Mac store I did find didn't actually have any Macs on display)...
even in the Netherlands (land of the computer idiots... i.e. non-Mac users)
I saw more Macs in operation and on display in businesses).

Eric.