[muglo] Recommended Shareware

  • From: Barry Takayesu <prestige.print@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 17:19:24 -0500

I compiled a number of user recommendations of Shareware for OSX from
another list of Mac users and thought I'd pass them on. There may be
a number of duplications - I didn't try editing them

RECOMMENDED SHAREWARE - (FROM USERS)
Cocktail and Vuescan
Transmit
Graphic Converter
PStill
#1 is Watson. Much faster and better than Sherlock.
StickyBrain- This isn't shareware but I wouldn't want to do without
it. It does many things, but what I use the most is the capture of
text from web pages. It creates a sticky notes with the text and a
weblink on the bottom. It searches contextually so you don't really
have to be organized.
F10- Nice launcher.
Earthbrowser -weather around the world on a globe. Webcams too. Fun.
Needs horsepower though.
iAlarm -Wakes me up
Clutter - CD album covers on your desktop. Click to play.
ImageBuddy -Drag and drop photos from iPhoto to produce custom
layouts of prints.
Konfabulator is a blast. Snood is a very addicting. I like Snapz Pro
X because you can actually save as a QT movie.
Thumbnail Pro
Transmit
Photostickies
Swordfish Express
OmniGraffle
Business Card Composer
disklabel
iPasspartout
EasyCrop
LaunchBar - a must have.
CopyPaste - one of the most useful of apps.
iData Pro - a database anyone can use to stay organized.
Remember! - Alerts you to whatever you need to remember.
Xnippets - to help you collect and organize information.
MacJournal - free, and nice, and free.
Idea Knot - really cool and useful, and free.
Find them at version tracker. Have fun.
Cocktail
Transmit
DragThing
DropDMG (really like this one)
FruitMenu
ShapeShifter
Wallet
Audion
CandyBar
Rosetta
Synergy
WindowShade X
Launchbar, Windowshade X, FruitMenu, NetMonitor, Mighty Mouse,
Proteus (not so much use anymore), Acquisition (likewise), Synergy,
SNOOD!... generally the cheaper ones...
Graphic Convertor, VueScan, Marine Aquarium & Keyboard Maestro.

dvd2one will most likely be next, after I give it a good spin. After
that I'll try a few of the ipod ones out...
Easy Find - by Devon Technologies, freeware, works great. For finding
files and folders. Can search for contents or by name, etc.

VirtualDesktop - Use it all the time, wouldn't want to work without it.
StillLife - It's got it's own set of pros & cons but compared to
iMovie's Ken Burn's effect (v3 anyway) it's a god send. Especially
for only $25 compared to $50 for it's competition (Photo2video?)

CCC too.

iPodRip
Netflix Freak
Secret! for the palm OS
Moneydance - I have had it with Quicken, which I have used since
about 1987, and tried every checkbook/personal finance program I
could find. I do accounting for my organization, and use MYOB
everyday, but for my personal use, I needed something to replace
Quicken. Moneydance imported all of my Quicken data (over 12 years!),
and allows you to try it out for 100 transactions to see if you like
it before you pay the $29.99 cost. It also downloads from my online
banking sites (credit union, etc.). It seems to have more power than
Quicken, but is stable. For OS X... give it a try.
I've put together a CD's worth of good shareware that I give to
"switchers", here's the index:

[home.earthlink.net]

And games:

[home.earthlink.net]

I'll be checking the recommendations in this thread to see if I've
missed anything good.
I really like A Cook's Books (I think it's better organized than
Cookware Deluxe), and iView Multimedia Pro (though the price is a bit
steep now, used to be reasonable priced).

I second the recommendation for Vuescan... indespensable!
Tex-Edit Plus. This is by far the most useful piece of shareware on
my system. I use it for any writing that doesn't require formatting
and converting non-mac text files. Tom Bender updates it regularly.
Worth every penny.

I see many of my posting forbears have listed GraphicConverter and
(at least Robert M. has listed) Tex-Edit Plus. To these two excellent
shareware packages, I add:

Interarchy (ftp/sftp/some network tools)
Fruitmenu (brings back the Apple Menu of System 6 - OS 9)

and (though it is freeware with donations accepted) Gerben Wierda's
teTeX i-installer; it effortlessly puts a complete TeX system on your
OS X machine (and don't use fink for that--it puts things in unusual
places where TeX compilers won't look). I gladly made a donation, but
if you don't use TeX, never mind.

For more ideas, last week this appeared on slashdot:

[www.asktog.com]
Thoth!! Best Mac usenet client ever made...

I second Thoth,
as well as

Graphic Converter
Amadeus II
Rosetta
Audio Hijack Pro
Disktracker
Cocktail

Barry Takayesu
Prestige Print & Graphics
10592 Wellington Road * St.Thomas, ON  Canada  N5P 3T1
(519) 631-8800 * Fax (519) 631-6316
prestige.print@xxxxxxxxxxx