[muglo] Re: Survey

  • From: Ilbert Walker <walker@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 17:24:43 -0500

WOW!   (Grin!)
Please forgive me Eric for the following comments !
My reading this just happened to coincide with my playing The Instant
Monty Python Collection on my G5's player :-) !!!
And the two experiences just seemed to meld !

Ilbert

On 26 Jan 2004, at 3:40 PM, Eric D wrote:

>> As someone else has noted here , it appears from the current survey,
>> that a  majority of MUGLO members are still hugging their OS9 security
>> blankets :)
>
> Has anyone crunched the numbers? What struck me about the response was
> how
> many of us are still running "slower" Macs (<500 MHz G4 or G3) and how
> few
> are now running pre-G3s (to be expected). Of course, my PowerBook
> G3/400 is
> in effect as useful to me as a G4/1.33 17" would be so it's not
> completely
> unsurprising!!! Yeah, I could browse the web a little faster with a
> hyper-fast G4 and I'd be able to use iPhoto at a much better rate but
> my
> overall utility from the computer wouldn't go up! In terms of hardware
> I've
> got DVD, FireWire, USB, S-Video out for TV (at a wide variety of
> resolutions... our TV here latches onto 1024x768 PAL or NTSC (of
> course,
> it's "fake" resolution)... max real is 640x480 PAL (NTSC too I
> think... NTSC
> is nicer on my eyes since the refresh rate is 60 Hz, not 50 (which I
> can
> detect with PAL)!!!)), audio out/in, microphone, VGA out (DB15) (not
> that
> horrible proprietary Apple digital interface found on newer
> computers...
> unless you have a digital external screen it's kind of pointless...
> especially when over-head projectors only come with VGA connectors and
> that's the most common use of video out (how many G4 owners have been
> left
> out in the cold when they forgot their silly digital to VGA converter
> dongle?)

Very impressive ! But I hardly understood a word of this - sounded like
a fast talking
John Cleese's  script from Python :-)

>> I wonder if that phenomenon is equally true of the majority of Mac
>> users out there? Maybe accounts for Apples media onslaught of
>> 'friendly
>> persuasion'?
>
> Depends. If you're a 9600/300 user you'll be an OS 9 user. If you're
> an iMac
> 233 you're likely running 9. However, if you're anything with guts (300
> MHz+) chances are you're running some flavour of X!
>
>> Personally, I was the same, refusing to switch to Ten for at least two
>> years, until I bought the G5. Then the dual attractions of being to
>> access so much more OSX software AND to maintain my existing SW
>> running
>> in Classic 9, proved overwhelming.  I'm still missing many aspects of
>> OS9 and trying to adjust to some of the inflexibilities of Unix based
>> Panther.  If you decide to stick with OS9 your operating world will
>> shrink - which may not be a problem if your Mac satisfies all your
>> current needs.
>
> And, with time, you'll find that OS X satisfies all your needs
> exclusively
> (unless you rely on some obscure OS 7/8 (& maybe 9) application).
>
> PS I was using Windows this afternoon, and damn does it still suck!!!
> (it's
> only for suckers... and given the paucity of Macs around here

"around here?"   where the hell are you writing this from ?
Are you 'across the pond' in that MS Hell that yesterday announced the
award of a Knighthood to Billie Boy !! ?

> I can't but
> help conclude that the English are suckers (of course, fish and chips
> (can't
> think of anything comparably low-quality in the Canadian fast food
> diet...
> Krispy Cream doughnuts?) & bacon/fry butties (eating lard?) are
> considered a
> delicacy so...)...

More Pythonesque ? Spam, Spam and yet more Spam ?  :)

And of course, the English are suckers - that's why the better ones
emigrate to Canada !!   :-) LOL !

>  I've seen a grand total of *one* Mac (14" iBook... a
> science teacher of course :) :) :)) in all my travels around England
> (even
> the one Mac store I did find didn't actually have any Macs on
> display)...
> even in the Netherlands (land of the computer idiots... i.e. non-Mac
> users)
> I saw more Macs in operation and on display in businesses).
>
> Eric.

> Tired of spam?

See last paragraph above !!   :-)

> Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN 8.
> http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/bcomm&pgmarket=en-
> ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgma
> rket%3den-ca

>            http://muglo.on.ca/pages/members.html#Joinmuglo

>            http://muglo.on.ca/

And a final thought from MAC hiavelli?

Never ask a person what computer they use : if it's a Mac they will
tell you - if it's not, why embarrass them ?                 Tom Clancy