[AR] Re: supersonic retro (was Re: Re: Falcon 9 flight today)

  • From: Nate Vack <njvack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2013 15:28:36 -0500

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 3:06 PM, Monroe L. King Jr.
<monroe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Maybe I misunderstand but "your lander must be launched in one piece and
> you aren't allowed to use orbital
> assembly or deployable surfaces to increase frontal area."

I understood Henry to mean that whether X-Plane's CFD is good enough
isn't particularly relevant, as simulations are relatively easy.
What's more relevant is "what assumptions have you made about the
system you can actually get to Mars?" Maybe you don't need to do
supersonic retro because you can use other tricks to not be
supersonic.

That said, I probably wouldn't trust X-Plane's results regarding
flying into your exhaust plume at a supersonic velocity on Mars
without checking pretty carefully.

-n