[AR] Re: supersonic retro (was Re: Re: Falcon 9 flight today)

  • From: Henry Spencer <henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2013 15:46:30 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 2 Oct 2013, Monroe L. King Jr. wrote:
>  Hummm I might be able to simulate a mars landing like that HIL using
> X-Plane. Or do you consider that not good enough?

I assume this is in response to my "I've never seen a detailed analysis of
the problem" comment...  The issue is not simulating the descent, but what
assumptions go into the simulation.

(For example, bigger landers usually have higher ballistic coefficient --
more kilograms behind each square meter of frontal area -- which is how
the problem arises.  But there are hidden assumptions there, e.g. your
lander must be launched in one piece and you aren't allowed to use orbital
assembly or deployable surfaces to increase frontal area.  Arguably these
things aren't off-the-shelf technology, but then, neither is supersonic
retro-propulsion.)

                                                           Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                      (hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)