[AR] Re: supersonic retro (was Re: Re: Falcon 9 flight today)

  • From: Aplin Alexander T <ATAPLIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 10:01:50 +0100

Classification: Unclassified

>I meant that JPL was worried about that for Mars landers.  And it may
>not be "we know it will be a problem."  It may be more like "We can't
>prove it won't be a problem."<

Indeed, that was my point. A nice paper summarising the knowledge gap and
approaches to filling it:
<http://www.ssdl.gatech.edu/papers/conferencePapers/AIAA-2010-5046.pdf>

It includes suborbital rocket tests and balloon-launched test as possible
solutions.
These slides suggest 60km (~180kft) so maybe a bit sporty for an amateur rocket:
<https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/docs/02_Supersonic%20Retropropulsion%20Technology%20Development%20in%20NASA's%20Entry,%20Descent,%20and%20Landing%20Project_K.%20Edquist1.pdf>

This paper has more detail on potential use of Terrier variants (at 40-50 km
altitude):
<http://www.planetaryprobe.org/sessionfiles/session4/papers/post_srp_ft_concepts-paper.pdf>

More relevant stuff here:
<http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en-GB&source=hp&q=supersonic+retropropulsion>

Alex Aplin

"Personal e-mail. This e-mail is personal. It is not authorised or sent on
behalf of Dstl. This e-mail is the personal responsibility of the sender."
"The remarks in this e-mail are personal and do not represent Dstl or
Government policy."

"This e-mail and any attachment(s) is intended for the recipient only.   Its
unauthorised use,
disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted.  Communications with Dstl are
monitored and/or
recorded for system efficiency and other lawful purposes, including business
intelligence, business
metrics and training.  Any views or opinions expressed in this e-mail do not
necessarily reflect Dstl policy."

"If you are not the intended recipient, please remove it from your system and
notify the author of
the email and centralenq@xxxxxxxxxxx"