[AR] Re: Funding for projects

  • From: Ben Brockert <wikkit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 14:33:24 -0600

You will never have an easier time raising money for projects than you
will as a college student. When I was the vice president of the Iowa
State Space Society, we were averaging about $2000 a year without any
keystone projects or major fundraising operations. We bought rocket
motors and telescopes and paid for members to go to launches and
conferences.

Make your group a SEDS chapter or create the project within the one
that exists, if there is one. Align with AIAA, though a lot of AIAA
student chapters are mostly social groups.

UCSD SEDS started a $6800 project earlier this year to build a 3D
printed rocket engine and run it on their own stand, and succeeded in
funding it and testing it. http://seds.ucsd.edu/projects.html You
might contact them to find out how.

If you are part of an established group, one thing way too many of
them ignore is getting funding from alumni. $500 is a small fortune to
a college student, but it's a reasonable contribution from someone who
is in their second year of an engineering job, to help fund a specific
project that sounds cool. It means keeping of people after they
graduate, and being willing to ask for money.

A more successful friend of mine went to a meeting with some students
and literally said "I have a $10,000 check in my pocket, all you have
to do is ask for it." It still took quite a while into the meeting for
one of them to ask. Most lunches aren't that free, but you need to get
past the idea of never asking because you don't understand "what
exactly does the donator get".

Ben