[AR] Re: Funding for projects

  • From: Aplin Alexander T <ATAPLIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 13:57:57 +0100

Classification: Unclassified
>We have thought about kickstarter, but I personally don't see the
appeal.<
While you've discounted kickstarter, it has been successful in funding various
space-related projects (but of course there have also been failures). A quick
trawl of the #space tag shows most are payloads (smallsats) but there's at
least one propulsion project:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2027072188/plasma-jet-electric-thrusters-for-spacecraft?ref=tag
#Space tag:
http://www.kickstarter.com/discover/tags/space?ref=sidebar
I suspect studying the successes (and failures) would be useful if you want to
go this route.
This one clearly was boosted by appealing to an existing fanbase:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/573935592/were-putting-a-tardis-into-orbit-really?ref=tag
Note they're a payload on the first launch of Interorbital Systems Corporation
"Neptune" clustered rocket:
http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/hyperbola/2013/09/small-and-sweet-nasa-wants-a-dedicated-launch-vehicle-for-cubesats/
http://www.interorbital.com/index.html

Alex Aplin

"Personal e-mail. This e-mail is personal. It is not authorised or sent on
behalf of Dstl. This e-mail is the personal responsibility of the sender."
"The remarks in this e-mail are personal and do not represent Dstl or
Government policy."

"This e-mail and any attachment(s) is intended for the recipient only.   Its
unauthorised use,
disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted.  Communications with Dstl are
monitored and/or
recorded for system efficiency and other lawful purposes, including business
intelligence, business
metrics and training.  Any views or opinions expressed in this e-mail do not
necessarily reflect Dstl policy."

"If you are not the intended recipient, please remove it from your system and
notify the author of
the email and centralenq@xxxxxxxxxxx"