[AR] Re: Funding for projects

  • From: Jonathan Goff <jongoff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 07:07:44 -0600

Aidan,

I'd like to echo what Thomas is saying. I took a similar route when I was
at BYU, and was able to get something like $500-600 for our club. Not
enough to do a sounding rocket, but enough to get things going, and to fund
building a rocket igniter test rig. Had we then taken Thomas's route and
tried to get donations from local businesses, we probably could've gotten
additional funding. I also like Bill's suggestion of throwing a dinner or
party of some sort to raise funding. Make sure you familiarize yourself
with school rules for that sort of fundraising first, but if you play your
cards right, you can actually fund quite a lot that way, and get businesses
to chip in "in kind" services.

One of the dirty secrets of rocketry is that the funding part is almost
always a significant part of the difficulty of a rocket project. Whether
you're an amateur group, a bootstrapping startup, or NASA, the "No Bucks,
No Buck Rogers" line is legit.

~Jon