[AR] Re: manual piloting (was Re: Re: body mass and size ...)

  • From: Ian Woollard <ian.woollard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 22:01:00 +0100

I've successfully hand-flown reasonably physics-realistic simulations of
the Shuttle in the 'orbiter' program with a few instruments. From what I've
seen, provided a vehicle is attitudinally stable, and you have an
artificial horizon, it's hard, but not stupidly hard; you just have to fly
a certain lean over and thrust schedule until you reach orbit.

Flying to orbit is not like trying to hover, an error of a few m/s or even
a few hundred m/s may not stop you reaching A stable orbit, but in hover it
will kill you stone dead.

--
-Ian Woollard