[AR] manual piloting (was Re: Re: body mass and size ...)

  • From: Henry Spencer <henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 15:00:07 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 9 Oct 2013, Ian Garcia wrote:
> >  They tried it in simulation, discovered that it worked surprisingly
> > well, and decided it was worth having.
>
> Worked surprisingly well? Where is this documented? I always
> understood that it barely worked and often failed, but I admit I may
> have understood it wrong.

I've seen mention of it several places; the one specific reference a quick
look turned up is NASA TN D-5261, "A detailed study of manual backup control
systems for the Saturn V launch vehicle", Hardy et al.  (No, alas, I don't
have a copy, just some notes from reading it.)

It also occurs to me that "surprisingly well" is relative to one's
expectations, and isn't necessarily incompatible with "barely worked". :-)

As has been noted in some other connections, the sheer *size* of the
Saturn V worked in favor of such things, by slowing down its responses.

                                                           Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                      (hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
                                                        (regexpguy@xxxxxxxxx)