[AR] Re: Best Practices for Measuring Engine Temps with a Thermocouple

  • From: Henry Vanderbilt <hvanderbilt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 07:32:01 -0700

Unless you can ensure that your inserted-into-the-chamber thermocouple ends up flush and smooth with the rest of the chamber wall you're going to change the local temperature anyway, by introducing local turbulence. Probably increasing local temperature, quite possibly enough so to destroy the thermocouple, if not the local chamber wall.

Even if you can reliably install it flush and smooth, you also need to make sure the installation isn't significantly different in thermal conductivity than the rest of the chamber wall. Differences will of course change local temperature and again give inaccurate readings, and if you're depending significantly on radiative or active cooling, can potentially interfere with cooling enough to lead to a local burn-through.

Not to discourage experimenting, but don't let it distract you too much from the basic job of making the rocket work. Accurate internal chamber wall temperature measurement is really hard. Mostly people settle for an empirically measured wall temperature of "cool enough not to destroy the chamber".

Henry

On 10/18/2013 4:34 AM, Graham Sortino wrote:
I really like your idea of using a screw to hold it in place. I was
wondering if you ever considered taking this a step further and drilling
a hole to access the chamber so that you could measure the internal wall
temp. You might need to use a NPT or AN thread for this to prevent leaks
but would it be a clever way to measure the internal wall temp?

*From: * Robert Watzlavick <rocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>;
*To: * <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>;