[AR] Re: Best Practices for Measuring Engine Temps with a Thermocouple

  • From: Eric Boyer <jeb19@xxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 10:20:46 -0400

At 07:36 PM 10/18/2013, Henry Vanderbilt wrote:
Yes, I was careful to weasel-word that and not say it was outright impossible, because I *knew* someone would take that as a challenge <grin>

But until Omega lists W/Re TC's as a stock item, I think I'm fairly safe in calling it thoroughly impractical.

http://www.omega.com/pptst/www26_w5w26_w3w25.html
:-)

We actually use W/Re TCs (Type C or D) fairly frequently in combustion research. We get them either pre-made or spark-weld them ourselves (especially the really small ones for better time/spatial resolution). Gotta make sure they don't get even a whiff of anything oxidizing when at high temperature, though--ever see how fast the filament of a broken incandescent light bulb disappears? Yeah, it's like that.

Eric

On 10/18/2013 4:27 PM, George Herbert wrote:
Tungsten melts at 3,400 K; it looks like peroxide motors should stay
under that, LOX/Kero at Pc of say 150-250 PSI might be under it (but not
much), LOX/alcohol should stay under it.

Rhenium is around 3,150 K, you could find propellant combinations that
would stay under that as well, so perhaps a W/Re TC?

But yes, this is edging into the "You just can't do that" trade space,
when we're having to look at the lowest temp propellants people here
might use and the highest temp metals available on the face of the earth...

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 3:08 PM, Henry Vanderbilt
<hvanderbilt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:hvanderbilt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I think the most ambitious thing we were talking about so far is
    directly TC measuring chamber wall temperature, which is merely
    really really hard.  Direct measurement of chamber gas temperature
    with a TC is pretty much impossible, since the chamber gas in any
    halfway efficient rocket motor tends to be hotter than the melting
    temperature of just about any material you can name.

    Henry

    On 10/18/2013 1:54 PM, johndom@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:johndom@xxxxxxxxx>
    wrote:

        I wonder what commercial TC can measure the inside of a firing
        chamber where
        uncooled stainless sensor protection tubing simply melts. Yes
        soldering it
        to the regenatively cooled wall is an option, but that is not
        the chamber
        gas temperature at all.

        jd