[AR] Re: Best Practices for Measuring Engine Temps with a Thermocouple

  • From: Graham Sortino <gnsortino@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 17:38:40 -0700 (PDT)

>The best way is to spot weld each thermocouple wire to the metal object.
Interesting thanks for that tip. however, if I do that won't I be left with a
thermocouple wire permanently dangling from the engine? Understood this is the
best option but is there a second best option that doesn't involve permanently
afixing the wire to my engine?

>By doing this you have created an interesting thermodynamics problem.
>The wire is at a lower temperature and it begins to heat up when you
>touch it to the metal. The tip is pulling heat from the metal but the
>wire is cooling the tip. You are also cooling the metal but hopefully
>that is a small effect. It seems unlikely that this would ever give a
>good result.
Thanks I knew I was doing something wrong but once explained it makes sense.