[AR] Re: Best Practices for Measuring Engine Temps with a Thermocouple

  • From: Charles Pooley <ckpooley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 17:16:30 -0700 (PDT)

Welding to the engine is best, because the signal from a TC is from the
temperature gradient from the junction to where you measure it.  Thin wire
helps.

Then, use an instrumentation amplifier.  They measure true differential
voltage.  The ground reference for the signals can be the metal surface being
measured.  The output is differential also, with a reference voltage for the
output.  There are a number of inexpensive ones in 8 pin packages to choose
from.    Charles Pooley