[AR] Re: Larger size motor case liners

  • From: Rick Maschek <rickmaschek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 07:43:10 -0700 (PDT)

We got our phenolic liners and casting tubes made by plastifab
http://www.plastifabsd.com/

They were used in the twelve 6" motors we made for the Myth Busters 'JATO 3'
episode:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHUsGFGhfmk

I then recovered them from the wreckage, cleaned them up and reused some a
second time in this burn (starts at 1:30 into the video):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8uOnT62UYE

Rick

Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 12:56:14 -0700
Subject: [AR] Larger size motor case liners
From: Daryle Dismukes <daryled@xxxxxxxxx>

Those of you who are working with fuel grains in the 150mm / 5.5-6 inch
diameter range, what are you using for your motor cases and liners? The
largest I've done before is 98mm, and I used as much off the shelf Aerotech
hardware as I could. Now I need to do something larger in a hurry at work
and I'm hoping to find a source of pre-made carbon phenolic tubes between
5.5 to 6 inches in diameter. Any sources or ideas? Other things to try?
-Daryle