[AR] Re: Larger size motor case liners

  • From: Eric Boyer <jeb19@xxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 17:56:04 -0400

Paul,

It's been a while since we got any of the big stuff, but checking back through my records, I see that in 2005 we paid about $39/ft for 4.7" OD / 3.7" ID XX grade for a 9' lot (3x 65"). Delivery was quoted at ~6 wks for that custom heavy-wall size.

Eric

At 05:27 PM 10/17/2013, Paul Mueller wrote:
Eric,

Any recollections on cost of the Franklin tubes?

Thanks,

Paul M

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 1:38 PM, Eric Boyer <<mailto:jeb19@xxxxxxx>jeb19@xxxxxxx> wrote: Franklin Fibre has tubes in paper phenolic and other compositions in various sizes and wall thicknesses:
<http://www.franklinfibre.com/phenolic_paper_tubes.html>http://www.franklinfibre.com/phenolic_paper_tubes.html
"...available in diameters ranging from .118" ID to 49.2" ID" (!)

We've used it both as fuel cartridge casings and as an X-ray translucent cartridge/pressure vessel (thick-walled, of course!) for our hybrid rocket work.

Eric

At 09:40 AM 10/17/2013, Robert C Steinke wrote:
I got some paper phenolic liners custom made by Precision Paper Tube (<http://pptube.com>pptube.com). They are 5" ID, 5.25" OD, .125" wall, and 36" long. When I bought a batch of 5 they were about $200 each. Make sure to specify convolute wound, not spiral wound.

Daryle, I still have some left if that size would work for you.

Bob Steinke

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 12:56:14 -0700
 Daryle Dismukes <<mailto:daryled@xxxxxxxxx>daryled@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Those of you who are working with fuel grains in the 150mm / 5.5-6 inch
diameter range, what are you using for your motor cases and liners? The
largest I've done before is 98mm, and I used as much off the shelf Aerotech
hardware as I could. Now I need to do something larger in a hurry at work
and I'm hoping to find a source of pre-made carbon phenolic tubes between
5.5 to 6 inches in diameter. Any sources or ideas? Other things to try?
-Daryle

Eric Boyer Assistant Director, High Pressure Combustion Lab Research Associate Department of Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering
(814) 863-2264                  Penn State University
jeb19@xxxxxxx           University Park, PA  16802