[optacon-l] Optacon Alternatives using current technologies and funding methodologies

  • From: "Nick Dotson" <nickdotson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 16:04:44 -0600

I'm congenitally blind, and saw clouds and the moon, and have learned to
identify the colors "blue", "Brown", "Silver", and "White",, have read print on
a computer sign, identified the shapes of signage, and identify some objects
all of which I encounter in my working life, and at home, especially when
outside with both hands full and I can't use a cane at the same time...  I'm
using the Brain Port, currently an Investigational Device produced by WICAB.

Like the Optacon, it requires practice, and a high level of motivation to
negotiate the learning curve, as home and external environments are much more
complicated environments than those represented by printed text, or the kinds
of image-related data we are used to interpolating with an Optacon.  Even
Sawyer's wonderful SF books don't represent the difficulties of  "learning to
see" for those of us who are congenitally blind.  But I'd never have imagined I
could see the shapes of trees, branches moving in the breeze, and the moon and
clouds, or how to locate the knob or push plate on a door and move my hand to
it to open it in motion, or reach out and grasp a specific object without
having to do search patterns on a surface so as not to knock over items I
didn't know were there...

Like the Optacon, I'm using the device for functions outside the expectations
of the designers, like trying to learn to make simple welding joints with a
blow torch.  (smile)

Nick