[optacon-l] Re: Optacon Alternatives using current technologies and funding methodologies

  • From: "Nick Dotson" <nickdotson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 21:58:16 -0600

We guinea pigs get to use it for a year.  Mine ends in March.

I also realize what I understand as color is actually gray-scale data, but it
is the closest I've experienced to the visual textural differences I can
rerecognize as particular colors as my sighted cohorts see/experience them.
And, there is much I'd like to be able to see that I just can't yet or possibly
ever interpolate rapidly enough to make it useful in a particular context.

For instance, I'd like to be able to get useful data from pictures on the
internet to see various buildings, air and space craft, animals, people, Etc.
but practically I'm not going to learn that in a year anymore than an infant
can learn to use their visual sensorum in all of its facilities in their first
year, nor do all sighted people use their sight with equal efficacy...
However, I suppose for a congenitally blind child, energy levels and refractory
time would be much improved...  And, as I alluded to before, looking at an
object and isolating it from its surroundings in varying lighting conditions
isn't a particularly easy trick either.  Whereas, with the Optacon, one has
more control of and relatively fewer variables to contend with in the print
environment and the essentially binary nature of the reading experience, that
is, a reed is either vibrating to indicate a pixel in the matrix or it isn't.
(smile)

Nick

D.O.S. Depend On Science