[optacon-l] Re: Optacon Alternatives using current technologies and funding methodologies

  • From: "Eileen Misrahi" <eileenmis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 14:05:14 -0800

Hi Fran,

You sound like me. I keep holding on to good functional optic nerves, which are
necessary for gene therapy or stem cell treatment. I have been waiting for over
41 years for some treatment that could restore some sight, but now I am trying
to be more realistic, thinking that it may never occur. That's why I am open to
all other types of alternative devices that could give me some type of feedback
of my environment. Most of the research and clinical studies have been involved
with Macular Degeneration, but I have RP, so it's not quite applicable to my
situation. I keep on trucking and that is what we all need to do with what we
have. We really need to pat ourselves on the back that we can use all kinds of
assistive technology and compete on equal footing with our sighted peers , as
well as accessing written materials. I look forward to learning the Optacon. I
just wanted to reply before starting a session with it. I have printed out two
different font sheets, with different font sizes. This will be interesting, but
rewarding all the same when I get the hang of it.

Thanks for your candid response.

Best,
Eileen