[muglo] Re: laptop

  • From: Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:06:42 -0400

> This is coming via a Rev A G3 slightly modified but still running well.
> I bought it new in '98 (? when they 1st came out ?).  My bro just
> updated and gave me his old one (no cost), he had tried running OS X on
> it but with no luck.  He had added a Sonnet G4 400, fire wire and USB
> to it plus additional memory.  I've moved over the pieces and
> additional memory and got it running Panther now, it is about as snappy
> as Panther on my stock Cube (which is back for another year in Toronto
> with my daughter).  It has been a very reliable machine.  Problematic
> might be because of slave drive and voltage regulator issues.  The
> former I can live with the latter is not an issue because I don't have
> the affected regulator as a component.
>=20
> So I have gotten and continue to get good use out of my machine - for
> the basics. I figure ten years by the time I'm done with it.

Alas, I have moved around too much so I no longer have any computers
which have been in my possession for aeons. The one that has been with
us the longest is the Lombard Powerbook G3 since 2001 but it now sits
unused on the shelf as an emergency back-up computer (we're thinking
of sending it to my brother-in-law... he's still happily running an
IBM PI/133 laptop with a 4 bit 800x600 colour LCD ;-).

The oldest machine currently in my possession is a 1997 Beige G3/266
that runs my network and web server (and, it's more than fast enough
for that... probably a faster PPC 601 could handle the web server
duties that I've saddled it with).

I'm now contemplating adding another machine to the mix -- not sure if
it will be a desktop or a laptop (I already have a laptop for
presentation purposes so I don't see the point). Maybe a late model G4
tower or a G4 iMac (the iMac would have to have AppleCare on it).

Eric.