[muglo] Re: laptop

  • From: Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 09:00:14 -0400

On 8/19/05, Tee Cashmore <teecashmore@xxxxxx> wrote:
>=20
> On 19-Aug-05, at 3:18 PM, Hawk wrote:
>=20
> > A little input? Just curious. I'm thinking about replacing an old
> > computer. I'm considering a laptop although I don't know if I want to
> > spend that much money. What would be a good Mac? The best Mac? Approx
> > cost? Jim

>=20
> The new iBook @ $1250 would suit you fine, but there are quite a few
> very good used laptops out there for about half that. Power books are
> more expensive than iBooks. Laptops are expensive, although they keep
> their value quite well.
> If you consider desktops, then the new "Mac Mini" is a good deal; $600
> @ Best Buy; & if you've got a VGA monitor & a USB keyboard & mouse, it
> would be more than adequate for you. HTH.
> TTFN,
> TeeC

The mini Mac is a functional computer but I would *not* recommend it
as a primary computer. It's built from laptop parts which means it'll
die a lot sooner than a desktop would (though, I guess the iMacs and
eMacs are also essentially glorified laptops). Plus, the mini Mac is
already *old* technology.

Small =3D cost savings, but small =3D more heat concentration and more
heat concentration =3D shorter component life span (remember the compact
but failure prone Mac 128-Plus series ;-).

Eric.