[muglo] Re: laptop

  • From: Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 17:40:43 -0400

On 8/25/05, Dave Bonhoff <gtidave@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>=20
> On 24-Aug-05, at 08:52, Eric Dunbar wrote:
> > Whenever I pick up an iBook I feel like I'm using a dinky-toy. The
> > plastic just feels cheap, the construction as if it'll fall apart and
> > I have never gotten used to the less-than-satisfactory experience of
> > using the iBook track-pads (they feel funny) and mouse button (nasty
> > click response).
>=20
> You want a dinky-toy feel?  Try a Dell Inspirion laptop.  Despite
> it's weight, it feels cheap.  Cheap and flimsy plastic case, poor fit
> and finnish, crappy keyboard, etc.  I'll agree that the trackpad and
> 'mouse button' on iBooks leave something to be desired, especially
> when compared to my old G3 Powerbook.

<shudder> Bargain basement laptops. I always find it amusing to see
people buy a $1000 laptop with a 15" monitor and then complain that
it's crap. What do you expect? You really get what you pay for with
laptops.

> > I guess it's to each his own. Some people absolutely loved their iMac
> > CRTs but I could never get into them. I owned one and saw three
> > additional ones go belly up (one which couldn't be blamed on cheap
> > components ;-) and require service or be ditched. I cannot say the
> > same for the G3s and G4s I've seen over the years.
>=20
> I've got a first gen iMac in the basement right now running as a file
> server.  It has no problems despite being running 24/7 for the past 2
> years after being overclocked.  I had another one  (which I also
> overclocked) that is still in service 24/7 at a friends.  Also no
> issues.  My B&W G3 tower just died - the HD controller fried and
> corrupted the HD beyond repair.  But should I be complaining about a
> 1999 vintage computer starting to have hardware issues?  Heck no!
> That would be as silly as complaining that a 2003 car needed repairs
> today.  Computers have an effective lifespan of 18 - 24 months.  36
> TOPS!  If you get more out of them, good for you!

You're *very* lucky with your 1st generation iMac. The Rev A-D iMacs
are the ones that gave the iMac the monniker iCrap. Most 1st gen iMacs
have died an ignominious death since -- either through mother board
failure or because other hardware died (most notoriously the CD-ROM).

18-24 months out of a computer? I don't buy a computer UNLESS it's
already 18 months old ;-). I was still using a Quadra 700 (1991,
bought by me in 1993) on a weekly basis as late as 2002! There's a
reason I only buy the "pro" machines. They've lasted and lasted and
lasted for me whereas every consumer Mac I've owned or used regularly
has gone belly up (and the pro machines are *lot* cheaper to fix if
something gives).

The Rev A Beige and Rev 1 B&W G3s were a problematic lot.

> <snip>
>=20
> > PS I have yet to see evidence that Apple supports monitor spanning on
> > its iBook line (other than a hack that allowed some 700 MHz iBook era
> > iBooks to do so). According to Apple iBooks only support:
> > VGA, S-video and composite video output =3D09Video mirroring supports
> > VGA
> > video out to an external display or projector (requires included Apple
> > VGA Video Adapter) and S-video and composite video out to a TV or VCR
> > (requires optional Apple Video Adapter, sold separately).
>=20
> Apple has coded OS X to prevent monitor spanning by iBooks so as to
> increase the perceived value of the Powerbook line.  Apple says many
<snip>
> enough apart and back together in an improved state to justify having
> the certificate hanging on my wall!  Hard drives, optical drives,
> RAM, Bluetooth, WiFi cards, overclocking, case mods, I've done them
> all.

> What Apple says, and what we can do are 2 different things.

True, BUT, you don't want to rely on a 3rd party hack to enable a
feature that may or may not work, especially since the h/w isn't
designed for it.

As for the certified thingy... QA QC is an issue that all
organisations face. Yes, something may be possible, but, if you allow
it then you are also expected to *support* it and you may be taking on
legal liability. Allowing Joe Shmoe to operate on his iBook and still
honouring the warrantee on it after it fails falls into a grey zone --
did Joe inadvertently short out a chip or install the wrong RAM or
bend a pin a little too much... those are *not*  things that a company
should have to pay for (especially since it means *other* consumers
will be shouldering the burden of having to pay for it through
increased costs).

> 1. TINY or low resolution?  (come on now...)

Come on now ;-). 1024*768 on a 14" screen is pitifully small. Look at
what most (good) x86-based laptops with a 14" screen come with
(Apple's screen offerings pale in comparison with the better Sonys for
e.g.). At least 1024*768 on a 12" is somewhat acceptable.

> 2. It can be done with ease, and Apple can't tell because it patches
> the PRAM so it can be reset as easily as rebooting.

Which ones allow it, and, are you willing to stake your usability on a
3rd party hack? I'd be surprised if it were as simple as a PRAM
setting... I'd more expect it to be in FirmWare.

> 4. In general, I agree.  The Pismo was a great machine.  And it
> should be noted that the G4 Ti-Book that replaced the Pismo was a
> step backwards and it took a full generation of machines before they
> were back at the performance level of the Pismo.  I have never liked
> the metal powerbooks.  The Lombard/Pismo chassis looks, feels, (pure
> sex in a machine with all its curves and soft surfaces) and performs
> very well compared to later machines.  As for the iBooks being butt-
> ugly, well, I guess that is a mater of opinion....

There were design issues with the 1st TiBooks but they were still
hands down faster and more capable computers than the Pismo.

> While I like the vision, it probably won't happen any time soon.
> That is crossing into Powerbook territory, and there will always be a
> distinct line between the Power(whatever) and i(whatever) lines.  At
> least the 14" iBook has the superdrive, which was the deciding factor
> for me.

Apple needs to make its money somewhere to survive ;-).

Eric.