[muglo] Re: laptop

  • From: Dave Bonhoff <gtidave@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 23:19:22 -0400

Just to add the perspective of someone who did a lot of soul
searching about a year ago before buying a new laptop:
The main factor of a laptop is portability.  Otherwise you'd buy a
desktop, right?  This not only includes size and weight, but battery
life, built in functionality and durability.  I've seen and worked on
many newer Powerbooks and a few iBooks, even owned a couple or 10.
Beyond a doubt, the new Powerbooks (G4 Ti-books and newer) are
fragile.  No, they are VERY fragile.  I have not been able to get
past this fact.  NOTHING else matters if the machine is broken.  And
they break a lot.  iBooks are tough.  A magnesium frame and
polycarbonate case allows one to transport an iBook in a knapsack or
bag that would lead to the destruction of a precious Powerbook.

I decided to buy a 14" iBook late in the fall.  1.33 GHz G4, 256 MB
RAM, 60 GB HD, Superdrive, Airport Extreme, under $2K out the door .
It now sports 1.25 GB RAM, 100 GB 5400 RPM HD, video spanning hack,
QuickerTek handle and a blue apple logo on the screen (from white).
It will be getting Bluetooth installed in the near future - I'm
tiried of using the dongle.

I don't leave home without it unless I can be back within 30 min -
seriously.  It travels in a messenger style bag if I'm traveling
light, or in a backpack otherwise.  The few scratches on the case are
minor and many people who see it think that it is new.  I've had no
troubles with it at all.  The battery is still very strong,  it is
virtually silent (new HD helped) and has excellent WiFi reception.  I
often connect it to a 21" monitor as well as various TV's including a
55" widescreen and have no issues with spanning vs. mirroring, even
at high resolutions.

What would a 15" Al-book have done for me?  Cost about $2.5K more,
had a slightly larger screen, backlight keyboard, and generally been
more powerful/faster with a correspondingly  shorter battery life and
bad WiFi reception as well.  And I'd be carrying it in an expensive
hardshell "briefcase type" bag with little room for additional
items.  I'd also be worried to move it around unless being very, very
careful.  I'd also need a lap tray of some sort, probably with a
cooling fan, which would further reduce the battery life and be more
to carry...

One could deduce from all this that I'm not a fan of Powerbooks.  And
you'd be correct.  For the average user or even an advanced user they
are more computing power and not enough reliability.  For a power
user who is rendering DVD's or capturing video live they are probably
almost enough.  For me, and most users, iBooks are just right.

Dave
who has gotten to like the shiny white case (with blue apple!)

--
On the topic of PC vs Mac:
Am I the only one who thinks this whole "platform war" is really, really
- Judi Sohn, March 7, 2004