[muglo] Re: laptop

  • From: Martin Albinger <max@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 19:01:22 -0400

On 25-Aug-05, at 5:40 PM, Eric Dunbar wrote:

> On 8/25/05, Dave Bonhoff <gtidave@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> I guess it's to each his own. Some people absolutely loved their iMac
>>> CRTs but I could never get into them. I owned one and saw three
>>> additional ones go belly up (one which couldn't be blamed on cheap
>>> components ;-) and require service or be ditched. I cannot say the
>>> same for the G3s and G4s I've seen over the years.
>> =20
>> I've got a first gen iMac in the basement right now running as a file
>> server.  It has no problems despite being running 24/7 for the past 2
>> years after being overclocked.  I had another one  (which I also
>> overclocked) that is still in service 24/7 at a friends.  Also no
>> issues.  My B&W G3 tower just died - the HD controller fried and
>> corrupted the HD beyond repair.  But should I be complaining about a
>> 1999 vintage computer starting to have hardware issues?  Heck no!
>> That would be as silly as complaining that a 2003 car needed repairs
>> today.  Computers have an effective lifespan of 18 - 24 months.  36
>> TOPS!  If you get more out of them, good for you!
>
> You're *very* lucky with your 1st generation iMac. The Rev A-D iMacs
> are the ones that gave the iMac the monniker iCrap. Most 1st gen iMacs
> have died an ignominious death since -- either through mother board
> failure or because other hardware died (most notoriously the CD-ROM).

I have a 1st gen iMac running Panther.  It is slow but works enough for
casual browsing needs, it is/has been used daily for the past 4 years
that I have owned it (2 nd hand)

> The Rev A Beige and Rev 1 B&W G3s were a problematic lot.

This is coming via a Rev A G3 slightly modified but still running well.
  I bought it new in '98 (? when they 1st came out ?).  My bro just
updated and gave me his old one (no cost), he had tried running OS X on
it but with no luck.  He had added a Sonnet G4 400, fire wire and USB
to it plus additional memory.  I've moved over the pieces and
additional memory and got it running Panther now, it is about as snappy
as Panther on my stock Cube (which is back for another year in Toronto
with my daughter).  It has been a very reliable machine.  Problematic
might be because of slave drive and voltage regulator issues.  The
former I can live with the latter is not an issue because I don't have
the affected regulator as a component.

So I have gotten and continue to get good use out of my machine - for
the basics. I figure ten years by the time I'm done with it.

Martin Eh!