[AR] Re: Orions and PDEs (was Re: More MAX delays.)

  • From: Terry McCreary <tmccreary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 17:18:10 -0600

Rather like the article I read in the journal "Chemistry" -- for HS and intro college students -- which extolled the wonder of reaching the break-even point (finally) and claiming that controlled fusion was just a decade away.  That was in 1975...

And there was a big furor a couple of years back, when a respectable organization (Boeing? Skunk Works? I don't recall) claimed to have a fusion generator small enough to haul in a pickup truck in less than a year. That was 3-5 years ago...

Claims are fun. Reality often isn't.

Best -- Terry

On 1/26/2020 4:31 PM, Henry Spencer wrote:

As I've mentioned before, I kinda gave up on PDEs when I ran into a paper explaining how wonderful they were and how they would soon replace all other kinds of rockets -- in the May 1957 issue of the ARS Journal.

Dr. Terry McCreary
Professor Emeritus
Murray State University
Murray KY  42071