[AR] Re: More MAX delays.

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2020 15:56:22 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 23 Jan 2020, Peter Fairbrother wrote:

"However, DARPA ended plans to perform a flight demonstration with ALASA in November 2015 after discovering that NA-7 was too volatile to be safely handled."

While I guess up to half of what I buy is not really used much or well, I think 'most everyone here could have told them that...

In fairness, DARPA exists to try things that are too speculative for normal military funding channels. It's quite predictable that many of the ideas they try are flops.

Nitrous/acetylene, alarming though it sounds, actually managed to pass safety tests for things like handling, which I would definitely have bet against. (And remember that F-15s are in the *business* of carrying objects stuffed full of high explosive...) It just didn't turn out to be quite tolerant enough for full-scale hot firings.