[AR] Orions and PDEs (was Re: More MAX delays.)

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 17:31:51 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 26 Jan 2020, John Dom wrote:

Orion is a nuclear PDE concept if I understand it correctly.

Not exactly. Traditional PDEs still have chambers and nozzles, more or less like conventional engines -- it's just that fuel/oxidizer feed and combustion alternate, rather than both being continuous.

There are impressive videoclips showing a micro Orion take off using conventional detonations.

Indeed so, but that was a proof-of-concept demonstrator, and nobody cared that it used combustion energy and propellant mass very inefficiently, compared to a conventional rocket.

I thought I never read mentioned *how* existing PDEs are built, technically, on AR.

Try Bratkovich et al, "An Introduction to Pulse Detonation Rocket Engines", Joint Propulsion Conference 1997, AIAA 97-2742. There may be better and/or more recent references -- it's not an area I really follow.

Last I heard, they typically claim a 10-15% advantage in Isp, and sometimes actually demonstrate that :-), at the cost of (so far) truly dismal T/W -- very heavy engines with quite low thrusts -- and hideous noise and vibration. The T/W and the resulting dry mass are bad enough that *vehicle* performance is rather better if you use a conventional engine and carry a bit more fuel. Maybe this can eventually be fixed... maybe. Good luck fixing the noise/vibration problem when shock waves are an inherent part of engine operation.

As I've mentioned before, I kinda gave up on PDEs when I ran into a paper explaining how wonderful they were and how they would soon replace all other kinds of rockets -- in the May 1957 issue of the ARS Journal.