[AR] Re: OT laser propulsion and power satellites

  • From: Ian Woollard <ian.woollard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 23:08:18 +0100

No, not viewgraphs. They went beyond those about 2001.

Actually Skylon's engines, SABRE, do have lab-level working hardware now;
they're about TRL 4-5 on those engines.

And it's not twice as good effective exhaust velocity, it's designed to
give about 6 times (~2,500 seconds or so) up to about 1500 m/s.

Skylon, the airframe itself, is about TRL 3-4; overall nearer 3 perhaps.
But even that's had sub-scale hypersonic wind tunnel testing.

--
-Ian Woollard