[AR] Re: OT laser propulsion and power satellites

  • From: James Bowery <jabowery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 20:23:10 -0500

Another "blue sky" idea:

Thiel has funded the Atmospheric Vortex Engine test now going
on<http://jimbowery.blogspot.com/2013/08/breakout-labs-funded-prototype-of.html>.
 Thiel also, as you know, endowed the Seasteading Institute.  The western
equatorial Pacific is the ideal place for the Atmospheric Vortex Engine.
 If the CFD model can be refined under the current study and the model
still supports support the cost projections, which are quite favorable (see
slide 19 <http://vortexengine.ca/PPP/AVEtec_Business_Case.pdf>) as long as
we're talking local use, it looks like it will be a 'go'.  Will it then
kill off satellite power?  On the contrary, it may catalyze it.

Transmission costs from the western equatorial Pacific to the mainland get
pretty expensive so the options are local use in seasteading and microwave
transmission.

Microwave transmission to the mainland may as well go to GEO and back.
 That, alone, may be enough to catalyze satellite power.  The western
Pacific is an ideal takeoff point for the laser Skylon and the initial GEO
microwave power relay sats may as well be positioned optimally for the
orbital boost phase since they'd be able to service both sides of the
Pacific.

PS:  The algae PBR tech for the Seasteads is just about ready to roll and
it, too, prefers the same location for similar reasons.

Moreover, if you get seasteading going (which happens if you have the
appropriate algae cultivation system)

If