[AR] Re: OT laser propulsion and power satellites

  • From: Keith Henson <hkeithhenson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 22:11:41 -0700

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 12:42 AM, Uwe Klein <uwe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> John Stoffel wrote:
>>
>> Laser sounds neat, but I always wonder what happens when it loses lock
>> and illuminates something else by accident...
>>
> What happens when the accident is intention
> is what will keep this on paper imho.
>>
> An orbital laser is a potential weapon
> and for once I would actually take "second use"
> as a real threat.

It's a real problem.  Lots of people are thinking about it, including
one who says that the US would destroy any Chinese propulsion laser.
When I asked if the US would destroy a joint Chinese/Indian laser they
were not so certain.  But if the Chinese were really upfront about
keeping it from being used as a weapon and asked the US for help
securing it . . . .

If the US government is taking the CO2/climate connection seriously,
then how much is it in our interest that the Chinese quit burning
coal?  Enough for the US to put up with a Chinese propulsion laser?  I
don't know, just trying to lay out the factors involved for
consideration.

Keith