[AR] Re: OT laser propulsion and power satellites

  • From: Uwe Klein <uwe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 11:02:47 +0200

Keith Henson wrote:
On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 12:42 AM, Uwe Klein <uwe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

John Stoffel wrote:

Laser sounds neat, but I always wonder what happens when it loses lock
and illuminates something else by accident...

What happens when the accident is intention
is what will keep this on paper imho.

An orbital laser is a potential weapon
and for once I would actually take "second use"
as a real threat.

It's a real problem.  Lots of people are thinking about it, including
one who says that the US would destroy any Chinese propulsion laser.
When I asked if the US would destroy a joint Chinese/Indian laser they
were not so certain.  But if the Chinese were really upfront about
keeping it from being used as a weapon and asked the US for help
securing it . . . .

The US is infatuated with limiting/regulating others
applying rules and making demands
that they never would follow themselves.

A bully at work.

No nation that has other options will submit.

uwe

--

Uwe Klein [mailto:uwe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
        Habertwedt 1