[AR] Re: OT laser propulsion and power satellites

  • From: Keith Henson <hkeithhenson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 12:59:34 -0700

Jim, the transport system is so oriented to the power satellite
production project that I can't see any point in a generic orbital
launch service. It's like a mine road into the jungle to a copper
mine, single purpose.

And, it's not ground based lasers.  The lasers need to be out in GEO
so they can sweep along the equator for close to 4000 km to put the
vehicle in orbit.  You can launch straight up with lasers, but it
takes about ten times as much laser for the same payload.

The minimum transport rate is about 500,000 tons per year or 60 tons
per hour.  It sounds like a lot, but the actual need is 20 times that
large, so this sized (100 GW/year) is sort of a pilot project.  It
still makes an awful lot of money.

Keith