[AR] Re: OT laser propulsion and power satellites

  • From: Keith Henson <hkeithhenson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 10:38:14 -0700

China isn't the only country that could do it.  Germany though the EU
could do it.  Because Skylon is a big part of the way to make power
satellites economical, the EU has a big lead over the US.  How about a
joint EU China project?  That gets the investment down to $30 B each,
about the class of Three Gorges dam and the chunnel.  Of course, once
a propulsion laser exists, US demands wouldn't mean much.

There are geometry/geography considerations because the launch sites
need to be near the equator and over water.  A three way split with
the US involved would be even better, for reasons involving Pacific vs
Atlantic weather and the need to prime the system with 12 GW for a few
months.

Keith