[AR] Re: OT laser propulsion and power satellites

  • From: Henry Spencer <henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 13:37:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013, Keith Henson wrote:
> What's most interesting to me about that map is the cold water along
> the equator to the [west] of South America.  Makes for few clouds and
> good flying on laser...

Few clouds, well, that depends.  Cold water can also cause condensation in
humid air blowing in from warmer parts.

That tongue of cold surface water is from the cold current that comes up
the Chilean coast.  The Galapagos is in there -- it's the little clump of
specks west of South America on the map -- which gives it a fairly
pleasant climate despite being smack on the equator (I was there in August
ten years ago, and we often needed light jackets).  It does get quite a
bit of sun, but it also gets fairly frequent cloud and drizzle.

Note also that there is some seasonal variation.  The Galapagos has a
rainy season, roughly Jan.-April, in which the water is warm and the
weather is the usual hot/sticky/wet equatorial conditions.

                                                           Henry Spencer
                                                       henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                      (hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
                                                        (regexpguy@xxxxxxxxx)