[AR] Re: OT laser propulsion and power satellites

  • From: Jake Anderson <jake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 15:21:17 +1100

On 22/10/13 14:44, Keith Henson wrote:
On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 2:02 PM, John Stoffel <john@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
snip
Laser sounds neat, but I always wonder what happens when it loses lock
and illuminates something else by accident...
That's why the acceleration path is over water.

Keith

I got to thinking, If your goal is to loft power sats, rather than actually generate power there is no need for your first sat to be in GEO. Put it in a middlish LEO orbit, as you cruise over the launch site (during the day) fire the laser (so total distance is now more like 400Km rather than 40K, so your laser is going to be easier) and "pull" the payload into orbit behind you, worst case it'll be ~8 minutes or 4000km behind you at burnout and your inital rocket launched payloads are now twice as easy to loft.