[AR] Re: MSR reactors.

  • From: Henry Spencer <hspencer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Arocket List <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2019 14:06:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019, Anthony Cesaroni wrote:

I like the design for ground base power production.

It's got a number of advantages, not least the option of doing continuous fuel reprocessing -- stripping out troublesome fission products etc. as they form, rather than letting them hang around to cause trouble.

To quote Mahaffy, "we're caught in the Rickover trap" ...

Rickover has a lot to answer for. At the end of Polmar&Moore's "Cold War Submarines", they quote a Russian sub designer on how it was that the US's huge lead in submarine technology steadily shrank, until the last Soviet prototypes were pretty much the equal of the US's best: "We had competition in submarine design. You had Stalinism!"

(Rickover not only crushed all submarine concepts rivaling his own, but on at least a couple of occasions, he did his best to erase them completely from history.)