[AR] Re: Intertank coupling design

  • From: Carl Tedesco <ctedesco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Robert Watzlavick <rocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 13:04:36 -0600

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 24, 2013, at 8:47 PM, Robert Watzlavick <rocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Carl,
> Thanks for the info and link to Richard's page.  I haven't decided on the
> exact coupler configuration yet so there's still room to improve the design.
> I assume one "caliber" means one diameter?

Yes, one caliber = one diameter.

> I saw that on many other HPR websites where the construction materials were
> composites or fiberglass.  Some of them even suggested two or three
> diameters.  I can't believe that you would need a 5-10 inch long coupler to
> hold two 5 inch diameter tube sections together.

In hindsight, they may be talking about the sections that separate for
parachute deployment, since these sections usually have 2 to 4 nylon shear
screws. The one caliber rule insures the section stays put during high speed
flight.

> An airplane fuselage is many feet in diameter and they usually only have a
> single frame section with a few inches on either side.  Of course there
> stringer section running the length of the airplane.

Ours was about 2-3 inch long coupler for our 8-inch diameter airframe. If I do
it this way again I would probably use two rows of fasteners offset; still the
same number of fasteners.

> I can envision alignment issues though, especially if the ends aren't
> completely round and the fastener holes aren't drilled       perfectly square
> to the ends.  I was hoping to mitigate some of that by making the coupler a
> bit thicker than needed so it wouldn't deform as everything is bolted
> together.
>
> Was your fuselage skin also the pressure tank?

Yes, the pressurized tanks were also the airframe.

---Carl