[AR] Re: Intertank coupling design

  • From: Robert Watzlavick <rocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 19:17:37 -0500

Thanks for the suggestions.  The tank walls only need to be around 0.05 or so
to take the 500 psi load with a 1.5 FS.  I went with 1/8 wall instead of 1/16
because I figured it would have better tolerance to handling damage and also be
easier to true up round. I can always turn down the OD on the lathe to save
some weight. I didn't mention it below but the load from the tank bulkheads
drove the design from 12 to 16 radial fasteners to stay within the bearing
allowable on the skin (after truing up the end, there was only 0.105 wall
left). The actual arrangement is a bit different than below with the tank
bulkheads included.

The threaded ring is one piece to aid in assembly.

As far as shear stress on the threads, I originally was going that route but I
was worried it might be a source of galling and/or fatigue cracks. There wont
be a zillion cycles on the tanks but if its only one extra piece to eliminate
that issue its worth it.

Your point about the joint strength in general is well taken. I need an
estimate of the flight loads ideally. Since its not actively controlled, they
should be small except for weather vaning right after launch.

-Bob