[AR] Re: Intertank coupling design

  • From: Carl Tedesco <ctedesco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Robert Watzlavick <rocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 10:25:30 -0700

On 10/29/2013 5:37 PM, Robert Watzlavick wrote:
On 10/29/2013 11:26 AM, Carl Tedesco wrote:
Here's an inter-tank adapter with an access hatch:
That seems like a pretty large space in between the tanks. I assume that was for fill, drain, etc. valves?

At one point we had some electronics in between the tanks. The vent valve & actuator on the lower tank (fuel) and the fill valve on the upper tank (LOX) filled that space with just enough room to get wrenches in, so although it looks large, it was pretty well filled with hardware.
We routed all plumbing and electrical lines outside the tanks and made a fiberglass faring. Here are a few pics of the faring:
Did you notice any control issues due to the fairing? Or was there a symmetrical dummy fairing on the other side?
That was always a concern -- aerodynamic asymmetry. We did end up putting the launch rail guides opposite the faring. They probably only had about 1/4 of the frontal area of the faring. No control issues were noted in both flights.

--- Carl

Thanks for the pictures.

-Bob