[AR] Re: Intertank coupling design

  • From: Ben Brockert <wikkit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 15:48:05 -0600

Bringing 6061 tanks up to T6 is a pain in the ass because it involves
solution annealing, which requires getting the tank frighteningly close to
melting and then quenching rapidly with water or a lot of cool gas. Doing
it without collapsing or warping the tank requires careful setup and
skilled operators. The tank can be straightened after the quench, but that
requires another, possibly complex, setup.

Instead, skipping the solution anneal and going straight to artificial
aging can give you results of 6061-T5, without nearly as much hassle. It's
an improvement of about 50% in tensile strength. It just requires an oven
that the part can fit in, which for tanks those size could probably be done
at a powder coating shop. There are a lot of different formulas for
artificial aging, usually two heats of two to eighteen hours each, at
temperatures between 300 and 400F. Higher temperatures take shorter times;
normal aging would be to let the part sit at a warmish room temperature for
a year or two.

Still well short of the state of the art in 6000 series rocket tanks but a
useful and achievable improvement over as-welded condition.

Ben

PNG image

PNG image