[AR] Re: Electroforming Experiment

  • From: Peter Fairbrother <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2019 21:51:34 +0100

On 14/07/2019 19:58, Norman Yarvin wrote:

On Sun, Jul 14, 2019 at 02:48:06PM +0100, Peter Fairbrother wrote:

Mechanically strong enough for a
combustion chamber?

The copper layer can be fairly strong at room temperature, but it
contains phosphorus, which destroys the high-temperature properties of
the copper, making it totally unsuitable for a chamber.

There's no phosphorus in this particular formulation.  (The list of
ingredients is at 5:15 in the video.)

I hadn't watched the video, but the most usual form of electroless copper uses sodium hypophosphite are the reducing agent rather than formaldehyde. Use of formaldehyde is uncommon, and the deposit isn't as good.

Also, the video guy is trying to do something other than standard electroless copper, he wants to laser print where the copper attaches. I don't know why he used formaldehyde.

Would formaldehyde copper have good high-temperature properties? I don't think so, I think I remember reading somewhere that it would not, but I can't find the reference offhand. Please don't expect me to be as consistently knowledgeable and correct as Henry!

But in any case, you couldn't make a layer of electroless copper thick enough for a chamber wall, no matter whether you used hypophosphite, formaldehyde or dimethylamine borane as the reducing agent.

Personally I think his method is a bit silly: you would get a much better and a much easier result if you electroless plated the whole object, then electrolytically plated it to build up a thick enough layer to be useful, applied photoresist, then used the laser selectively on the photoresist.

BTW also, the video guy makes some basic mistakes; eg on the solubility of copper sulphate pentahydrate in water, which is above 30 g/l at all useful temperatures, and is never less than 5 g/l. A layer of electroless copper is not really thick enough for a conductive trace. and his best results would have been rejected by the easiest pcb inspectors I ever met... I am not very impressed with his results, though he does have a nice technique.

Peter Fairbrother