[GeoStL] Re: Pocket Query enhancement

  • From: Glenn <potbellystove@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 07:32:06 -0500

I use the "Find my date" method on my PQ's to get all the missouri caches. Works well and no overlapping circles. I think there is a gsak macro to figure out the proper to-from dates also. I haven't used it but it would be easer than my trial and error date method.

glenn
On Jun 18, 2009, at 6:22 PM, MutherAndSun wrote:

Jumping in late here, but I would love a state wide query.

Until then, I run several queries on two accounts (mine and super_cacher's). I have state wide IL, TN, KY, and (most of) IA files that I update each week. I did the same thing for MO last year. Yeah, that's something like 30,000 caches, and no, I have no intention of getting to all of them...yet...but I like to look at the map and decide where to go or vice versa. I also like having more than the last 5 logs. And also for the various challenges I can run filters and GSAK macros to help identify which counties/pages I need.

Here are some things I do
1. I run the PQs based on date rather than location. This eliminates the overlapping circles. I start with the oldest cache for that state and adjust the time frame until it contains 500 caches. Then I start a second from that date, etc. I have them all running once a week each week. This updates any that have been disabled/enabled and adds more logs.
2.    I run one "new caches in the last week" for each state.
3. As I find caches, I remove them from the state files. Periodically I go back and adjust the dates in the PQs to bring them back to 500. 4. I periodically run the refreshallgpx2_0 macro on caches that haven't had a find or a note posted in awhile. This eliminates the archived caches.

Of course I do run out of PQs and switch back and forth between states, but it works pretty well for me. During Easter break, I just took my IL file and hit the road with no particular plan and had a blast.

I know about the no-no rule. So, "Hypothetically" anyone who wants to look at my statewide IL file could.
-Tracy

Glenn