[GeoStL] Re: Pocket Query enhancement

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 11:38:28 -0500

-
These arguments are specious at best. They can easily be refuted, but if people are not willing to deal in the realm of logic, that just doesn't work. If paranoia reigns, then there is no logic, only fear. Just for starters:
- Ease of sharing PQs with wide range of non-premium members.
Easily done already. Just forward what you already get to a non-premium member. Want more data: get more friends. Again easily done. Well, for most folks anyway. - Ease of competitor websites copying gc.com database. See above. If a competitor wants their database, there are ways of getting it, and it would not be that tough.
- Server load (questionable)
Questionable indeed. I have been in the business for too many years to do anything but laugh at this one. A PQ doesn't take any more resources than the ad-hoc queries done interactively. It probably actually takes less because you don't have to worry about serving it up on a web page with a decent level of service. Old web servers would do nicely in this role and cost nothing when they upgrade their front line servers, and I know they had to have done that already.

What they need is another level of membership where you can buy more queries. That will satisfy their lust for money and might overshadow their paranoia over their data. Float THAT idea and they might be more prone to change.

MBG wrote:
-
There was a topic about a statewide query recently on the groundspeak forums. Someone brought up being able to run it once a week too. I was able to find this thread at http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=182986
but I thought there was a more recent request, too.

Here's a slightly older thread with a better dialog http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=188561 Some possible reasons why groundspeak wouldn't want a statewide query to happen as brought up in the thread
- Ease of sharing PQs with wide range of non-premium members
- Ease of competitor websites copying gc.com database
- Server load (questionable)

Having a team of cachers work together sounds like a good idea.

Another problem with the one statewide query is that I like to have my queries run with my found caches excluded. Not having this option would be no problem for people with GSAK, but what about people with Apple computers? I guess they're in the minority, and its not like they're losing the old method if this new feature is introduced. I actually just installed Parallels on my mac so I could run GSAK :D

FInal note: Found the new thread hahah http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=223013 I don't think there's been a post from a groundspeak developer, yet. Hmmm wonder why?

ben

On Jun 18, 2009, at 9:05 AM, Kirk Yates wrote:

-
Reply: Thursday, June 18, 2009, 7:13:33 AM

I wonder if part of the problem would be the size of the attachment.
A lot of email servers have some attachment size limit.

Maybe Geocaching.com could run all the active caches in a state, zip
them up and put them on a ftp server and premium members could go out
and download the state they wanted.

-
Maybe if we all send a note to the forums they will see the
Benefits?

Missouri Geocaching land use policies --> www.MoCache.net
MoGeo Forums -->http://mogeo.ipbhost.com/index.php