[optacon-l] Re: Optacon List Archives

  • From: Jyrki Voutilainen <jykke.voutilainen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 21:33:51 +0200

On Sun, 4 Nov 2012, Mallard wrote:

> Here the National Health Service pays (or should I say paid???) for many
> aids for the disabled, totally or partially. There was a list of
> approved aids, including braille diaplsys, watches, thermometers, you
> name it... But the Optacon was never included, because the organisations
> for the blind were afraid it would "kill" braille.

OK,I see, and here in Finland the Authority for Pensions (a quite bad
translation!) gives â when applied â such assistive technology for studying
and/or working purposes, and the health care authorities do this in case you
don't work or study.

This is some kind of a simplification, of course, but the idea is the same
despite of what the local authorities are called, I think. Additionally, these
things vary in different countries that much that an exact description of a
country's social and helth care system is nearly impossible to give without
causing general bordom and frustration (smile).

--
Jyrki Voutilainen
mailto:jykke.voutilainen@xxxxxxxxx